Who can adopt? The following are the CWC adoption criteria for parents:
- Couples at least 30 years old, and no older than 54 years old
- Generally no more than five 5 children in the family under 18 years.
- A $30,000 minimum income requirement for couples without children
- A requirement of $10,000 per additional family member
- The prospective applicants should be a couple (one male and one female) with a stable marital relationship.
- If both the husband and wife have had no previous marriages, they must be married two years prior to applying. If either the husband or wife has been previously married, they must be married at least five years prior to applying.
- Under certain circumstances, single women are permitted to adopt through the CWC Special Focus Program. Single women are subject to all of the standard requirements for adoption from China in addition to the following:
- Single female applicants must be between 30 and 50 years of age. Applicants over 50 can be accepted as long as the difference in age between the child and the applicant is not more than 45 years.
- Unmarried applicants must provide a certificate of their civil status, such as a divorce decree (if divorced), a death certificate of their former spouse (if widowed), or a signed statement that the applicant is single and is not a homosexual (if never married).
- The family’s annual income must be at least $10,000 per family member, including the prospective adoptee, and the family net assets must be at least $100,000. The applicant must have good health insurance to cover the medical costs of the adopted child.
- Applicants should be experienced in child care or be occupied in child-related fields such as medicine, education, psychology, etc. Ideally, applicants would have experience in caring for children with various kinds of medical challenges.
- There should be no more than two children under the age of 18 in the applicant’s family, and the youngest of these must be 6 years of age or older.
- The home study must address the following topics regarding the applicant: her adoption motive, her reason for being single and attitude toward marriage, specific training for adopting a child with medical challenges, and a detailed rehabilitation and nurture plan.
- Applicants must be willing to appoint mail figures as role models for the adopted child and welcome male friends to join family gatherings.
- If the applicant is in a stable relationship and cohabitating with a male partner, the adoption will be governed by the requirements of married applicants.
These are general guidelines. If you do not meet these criteria we encourage you to talk with us before deciding against adopting a Waiting Child.
Total Length of Time
The total program time varies. If you are matched with a child shortly after completing your home study, the mimimal time frame is approximately 12-18 months (including 2 months for approval by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), all preliminary paperwork, assignment, and travel time) . You can anticipate traveling about 2-3 months after your child placement letter has been accepted.